So honestly I hate running on the treadmill at the gym, but if I’m outside in nature I definitely enjoy jogging. I have been jogging periodically for as long as I can remember. Some days are better than others. However, I never remember a time where I said, “Wow! I really hated this jog today.”
Here are the top five reasons that I’ve learned why jogging is important.
5. Jogging Circulates oxygen to your brain
It’s no secret that jogging is engaging all your muscles. As a result it is circulating oxygen throughout your organs and increasing oxygen to your brain. Recent studies even show that jogging can help create new neuron’s in your brain. Consequently, jogging may help to increase memory and learning abilities.
4. Releases ‘feel good’ hormones
We all have times when we feel sad. However, I’ve noticed that once I started jogging those feelings usually dissipate quickly. This is because jogging is an antidepressant. Jogging increases your energy levels while reducing stress, and producing more hormones known as endorphins. This is usually called the runner’s high.
3. Strengthens your lower body
I honestly believe that my body type and composition is predetermined by my genetics. Thus, I’ve always had strong legs. However jogging, has greatly toned my legs. Jogging helps to strengthen the bones and joints in your legs, while increasing flexibility.
This is because your body is working in unison to help you move. With continued jogging, you are essentially; strengthening your legs, stabilizing your core, lifting your glutes, and strengthening your back. Plus, you’re building up a good sweat. We all know sweating is good for you :).
However, this also means that you have to have a regimen where you are also working on your upper body to create a balance.
2. Promotes weight Loss
Essentially, my main goal is not to lose weight but rather to tone up. However, you have to take the good with the bad. Meaning if you want to tone up, you need to lose fat and build muscle. This is not the same as converting fat to muscle because your body is not designed to convert fat to muscle as they are two different types of tissues. It’s like trying to convert apples to oranges. Maybe on a genetically modified basis but not on a natural basis. Read more about this on livescience.
Nonetheless, Jogging on a consistent basis promotes weight loss because you are burning up a lot of energy. Without much dietary changes, jogging can actually reduce belly fat because it is a high-intensity aerobic exercise.
1. Improves immunity
So as you all know, I’m on a wellness journey, so this is one of the major reasons that encouraged me to continue jogging. Jogging has so many benefits as mentioned above but one thing that we don’t talk about is the boost to your immunity.
Since jogging is utilizing a lot of muscles and circulating oxygen to your organs, this has a positive effect on your immunity. Your body is getting more oxygen and creating more red blood cells in the process. As a result, it makes your body stronger at resisting the common cold and other minor in illnesses.
Better blood circulation in your body means more oxygen is going to your skin, and helping to keep your body in shape. It’s essentially creating a filtration system to keep your body young.
- Refrain from jogging everyday as your body needs time to recuperate. Jogging daily can actually cause stress and injury to your muscles.
- Jogging usually causes an imbalance in your body because as you are strengthening your lower body, a lot of joggers tend to neglect their upper body. So remember to work out your upper body as well.
- It’s not a race, so go slowly and find a pace that works for you.
- Everything in moderation. Personally, I work out 4 times a week with 1 day rest intervals. One of those days are jogging days because I also incorporate other aerobic exercises like Zumba dancing or HIIT workouts. However, I may increase it to 2 run days in the future to see results faster.
- Never neglect a pre-warm up and post jog cool down stretch.
- Always consult a doctor if you have any health concerns.
- Make sure to hydrate. Check my post on the benefits of hydration below.
Until next time,
Looking for my education site? Check www.FutureSeedsAcademy.com
You can keep this site running by supporting my shop.