So first off, how are you? I hope you’ve been doing well and taking care of your mind, body and spirit.
Well, we’ve all been guilty of this. Snacking right before bedtime. Some bodies have a higher rate of metabolism and can break down snacks quickly. However, that is not the case with my body.
Therefore, here are the 3 snacks I absolutely avoid before bedtime.
These are my absolute favorite snacks to eat. However, right before bed time, this is a big no no. In addition to chips being high in sodium, eating too many chips can create a quick burst of energy but then results in low blood sugar levels.
This is because sodium retains excess fluid in the body which causes the heart to work hard to maintain appropriate levels. The more sodium you intake, the harder the heart has to work.
Putting your heart in overdrive is not something you want to happen right before bedtime.
Additionally, Research shows that chips and other processed foods are high in trans fat which can lead to different types of cancers, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and obesity.
Eat This Instead: Air Popped popcorn 🍿 (without the salt of course)
2. Ice Cream
Who doesn’t love icecream? Well actually I don’t, but there are times when my body craves it’s sugary goodness. Usually that happens to be, just before bedtime, you guessed it.
Ice cream is high in saturated fats and sugar. Plus, whoever only really has one serving of icecream (which is really like one spoonful). A pint of icecream ranges from 300 to 1000 calories. The average recommended intake for an adult woman is 2000 calories and 2500 calories for a man, so you do the math. A+B= No, don’t do it.
Eat This Instead: Yogurt topped with almonds and drizzled with honey 🍯. (Don’t eat this if you have nut allergies.)
It may be tempting to grab some chocolate chip cookies or Oreos and dunk it in some soy milk but don’t do it. Here’s why.
Snacking right before bedtime can lead to gastroesophageal reflux. This just means it may cause heartburn, acid reflux, dyspepsia or indigestion and even bloating. After you eat your snack and then lay down to sleep, your body now attempts to digest food while also transitioning to sleep.
Scientifically speaking, as you lay down horizontally, gravity is not able to push the food down as it would if you were in a vertical or upright position.
This in addition to eating your sugar packed treat is not the best combination. Remember that the more you eat, the fuller your stomach gets and the more it has to work to break down your treats.
Hopefully, you wouldn’t want to wake up all night because of indigestion issues either.
Eat This Instead: Mashed bananas mixed with vegan chocolate chips and granola. It has a similar crunchy cookie texture with natural sugars (much less than found in cookies).
Until next time,
I am not a nutritionist and though this article is based on research, it should not replace a doctor’s recommendations. Always consult your doctor if you have medical concerns. This blog is for advice purposes only.
____𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓹 𝓶𝔂 𝓯𝓪𝓿𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓼____
- 3 Easy DIY Ornaments using a Cricut|SunDIYSo I’ve always heard about a cricut, but the last few weeks I really decided I had toContinue reading “3 Easy DIY Ornaments using a Cricut|SunDIY”
- It’s the ReturnHey all, So I’m sure you’ve noticed, I took a 3 month hiatus and if you haven’t noticedContinue reading “It’s the Return”
- 3 Easy Tips, Beginner Entrepreneurs Should Know3 Beginner Tips for Entrepreneurs Guess what! I reached 8000 views! Help my channel get to 10,000 viewsContinue reading “3 Easy Tips, Beginner Entrepreneurs Should Know”
- 3 Bedtime Snacking Mistakes to AvoidSo first off, how are you? I hope you’ve been doing well and taking care of your mind,Continue reading “3 Bedtime Snacking Mistakes to Avoid”
- That’s a Bargain!| This Skin mask only costs $1Happy July!!! As the cities and states begin to reopen, a ray of sunlight shines through. However, undoubtedlyContinue reading “That’s a Bargain!| This Skin mask only costs $1”
- Tranquil Sundays| Yoga-laxationWelcome to Yoga-laxation! In the current norm of despair and uncertainty, we all need some relaxation right now.Continue reading “Tranquil Sundays| Yoga-laxation”